Thursday, January 17, 2013

I'm not cool

Russians have specialties.

And forgive me if with 'Russian' I still think about the borders as in War and Peace: from Europe to the end of the World.

There are no better boxers than Russians, no better drinkers, no more totalitarian lovers, no merciless spies, no more chauvinist workers. And nobody can even reach the furthest edge of the shadow of a Russian writer.

This is because Russian language is finely worked to perfection as a baroque engraving.

One night I was in the bar next to the train station of Dushanbe, and a Russian-Tajik men, whit the same volume of an adult cow, strong and fat as only Russian can magisterially be at the same time, white hair, icy eyes, brown teeth, started to look at me not really in a friendly way.

I start to hurry to finish my Baltika and go home.

"I do not like Americans", he almost shouted in English from the other edge of the bar, to be sure that, not only me, but everybody, understood he was talking to me.
"Well, in fact I'm not American..." but he wasn't listening.

He stood up and start to walk toward me.

"Americans say 'cool' to say something great, manly..." he took a pause to finish in a shot his vodka.
"Cool...As fresh! Fresh, like a fish to eat, or a spring morning" he laugh. Everybody laugh, even if very few Tajik speaks English. But they laugh to demonstrate they were united against me, whatever Ivan Drago was saying.

"In Russia we say сырье" and now is face was two inches from mine.
"It means 'raw'".

Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment