Thursday, December 20, 2012

When I was a volunteer


Yes, I was.

As thousands of young interactive people, I felt a boost to travel and DO. Do something. And SEE. See things.

I tried my best. But I come from one of these countries without credibility, and nobody gave attention to my cover letters written in bad English. I’ve studied French…bad choice..

Anyway, to travel and work abroad I’ve to apply to volunteer’s programs. Sometimes doing slave work in xmass time selling lions’ adoptions under the snow thinking to gain a free experience in Africa (that then at the end I paid), sometimes applying to volunteer high fee programs for the salvation or rare species in the middle of high touristic spots.

I proudly can say I did not save the white hand gibbons in Phuket.

Finally, after my sweated degree, I worked for one year for an NGO. They never paid me. But they were also organizing ’volunteers programs’ in Tanzania. And they needed a tutor.

”I’m fucking going”

And I became a touristic guide for young interactive people, whit a strong boost to travel, and work and do something.

Was cool. Terrific and useless.

I really should tell you when I was wanted in Tanzania for not paying a breakfast in Impala Hotel.

Making safaris in the Serengeti was terrific but not satisfactory. I mean…naked, sick and malnourished children were still asking for a fucking kalamu (nothing more than a pen), and my volunteers were seeking for a cow-bone souvenir.

Internet was still a new stuff, but I was so lucky to find a master whose name was so sexy: water management and territory use in developing countries.

I came back to study for one year, after which they sent me as an interim (a voluteer) in: TAJIKISTAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment